Interesting People mailing list archives

NSA should facilitate strong encryption methods for USE

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1993 07:55:06 -0400

From: reego () rtsg mot com (John J. Reego)
Newsgroups: comp.org.eff.talk
Date: 29 Sep 93 14:34:28 GMT

The use of secure encryption is necessary for American businesses
to compete effectively in the present global economy. Instead
of stifling the computer and network security practices in this
country the NSA should be doing the exact opposite.

The role of the NSA should be to encourage the use of secure
encryption practices. The NSA should validate encryption
algorithms to ensure effectiveness and provide a rating of
how secure the algorithm is.

Lets face it, the current practices of the NSA *is* creating
an economic security threat to this country. How can our
businesses compete if competetors in other countries can
easily listen in.

The american taxpayer spent millions of dollars developing secure
technologies for the military. This technology should now be
available for use by private industry and the citizens of this
country.

Without secure encryption practices our computer networks will
be the laughing stock of the world and further cripple our
ability to compete.

The backward policies that are currently in place must be
reversed.

John Reego

- These opinions are mine, and not necessarily my employers -