Interesting People mailing list archives

TIS Comments on Escrowed Encryption Standard from Stephen Walker

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1993 09:32:06 -0400

                                   September 28, 1993

Director, Computer Systems Laboratory
Technology Building, Room B-154
Gaithersburg, MD  20899
Attn:     Proposed FIPS for Escrowed Encryption Standard

Dear Sir:

On behalf of TIS, I hereby submit our very serious objections to
the referenced proposed Federal Information Processing Standard
(FIPS) and our recommendation that this proposal be rejected by
the Department of Commerce for consideration as a FIPS.

Our objections are in three all encompassing areas.  First, this
draft is a corruption of the basic FIPS process itself.  Second,
it is a technically content-free standard.  Third, it lacks any
evidence of an economic analysis of the cost-benefit relationship
of the proposed key escrow process.

1.   Corruption of the FIPS Process

     This proposed FIPS deviates so significantly from the
     "normal" FIPS process that it violates almost thirty years
     of tradition of open standards that have been subjected to
     repeated public scrutiny and are as technically sound as any
     public process can make them.  Independent of the contents
     of this proposed FIPS, this shift in the FIPS process itself
     must be resisted if we are ever to have technical standards
     that are acceptable to the public again.

     The traditional FIPS process, as represented by the very
     recent FIPS 140-1 proposal, typically involves the
     generation of a set of technical ideas which are discussed
     in public workshops and seminars, followed by a draft
     proposed standard which is widely distributed for public
     comment, often followed by several iterations, each
     attempting to meet the technical concerns of particular
     segments of the public and, eventually, resulting in a FIPS
     document that represents an acceptable compromise of
     technical ideas.  This process, amazingly similar to the way
     Congress passes legislation, however long and frustrating,
     is undoubtedly the best process we will ever devise for
     producing a publicly acceptable standard that will be
     implemented by industry and yield products that can be
     purchased by consumers as well as the Government.

     The Escrowed Encryption Standard (EES) proposed FIPS
     completely ignores this process and puts forth in the
     briefest, technically content-free document possible, a
     proposal which forces the public to rely completely on
     secret information that they will never be able to examine
     or understand.  Secret specifications may be a necessary
     part of developing equipment and procedures for protecting
     classified national security related information.  But, they
     have no place in a free society in protecting unclassified
     Government and commercial information.

     One must assume that the technicians that have devised the
     classified background for this FIPS shell are good at what
     they are doing (though the rumored further delay in
     availability of Clipper chips to the first quarter of 1994
     does not build one's confidence).  But, one must question
     the need for such secrecy and the price the Government will
     pay for being unwilling to share the technology by which it
     intends to protect our unclassified information.

     There are alternatives to key escrow encryption that are
     technically sound and could follow the traditional FIPS
     approach.  There are multiple instances of telephone
     security devices that are presently commercially available
     using proprietary approaches that could serve as a useful
     model for a FIPS.  There is a long tradition dating back at
     least to the Data Encryption Standard, by which NIST seeks
     proposals from industry and negotiates to have complete
     rights granted to the public to use the approved commercial
     approach.

     For unspecified reasons, NIST has chosen to abdicate its
     FIPS procedures and, without seeking public suggestions, to
     proceed directly with this unorthodox classified FIPS
     approach.

     The only apparent reason given for the haste with which this
     process is proceeding is that "the President said he wanted
     it."  Apparently, the staff people who prepared the
     President's statement of April 16, 1993 on the Clipper
     Initiative included comments to the effect that NIST should
     proceed quickly to develop a FIPS covering key escrow
     procedures.

     I do not believe that if President Clinton understood, when
     he signed the April 16 announcement, he was asking for such
     a corruption of the technical process by which FIPS are
     developed, he would have signed the announcement.

2.   Technically Content-Free Standard

     This proposed standard contains so little specific
     information that it is almost totally useless to anyone
     attempting to implement a key escrow telephone system.  The
     single most important motive for a FIPS is to establish a
     means for interoperability among multiple vendors' products.
     If there is so little information available in the FIPS that
     no one knows how to implement it without a classified
     contract, then I believe this document should not be called
     a FIPS.

     It relies upon specifications of the encryption/decryption
     algorithm (SKIPJACK) and the LEAF Creation Method 1 (LCM-1)
     that are classified.

     There is precedent in a very brief FIPS (FIPS 107 on Local
     Area Networks), but, in this case, the FIPS references a
     publicly available, extensively reviewed and unclassified
     American National/IEEE/ISO Standard (802.3) that gives
     complete specifications for implementing that standard.

     Anything less than this should be unacceptable as a FIPS.

3.   Lack of a Cost-Benefit

     The entire key escrow process, as it has been reported in
     public over the past six months, seems to be devoid of any
     analysis of what it will cost verses what it will
     accomplish.  Perhaps the Government has performed such an
     analysis, but I am unaware of any indications to that
     effect.

     In the same spirit that I offered my comments on the
     fundamental flaws in the NIST proposal to license the
     Digital Signature Algorithm to the Public Key Partners
     Corporation, I now offer the following relatively
     superficial analysis of the law enforcement benefits of key
     escrow.  I hope this simple look will be augmented by better
     information from the Administration that will show that I am
     wrong in my approach and/or conclusions.

          If one estimates the number of telephone security
          devices that may be in use in the U.S. in the next ten
          years, one must acknowledge that, for the most part,
          the general public will not spend the extra money to
          protect its routine phone calls from an unforeseen
          threat.  Businesses will probably purchase these
          devices for their executives but not bother for the
          bulk of their routine transactions.  As a result, I
          estimate that, optimistically, as many as ten percent
          (10%) of the public phones in the U.S. may be protected
          with security devices in the next ten years.  Given
          that the Administration has assured us that the public
          will not be prohibited from using alternative
          encryption systems, when one considers how many of
          these devices will be key escrow devices, one must take
          into account already available competing devices such
          as the AT&T proprietary 3600s and the Cylink DES
          devices which do not use key escrow procedures.  I
          estimate that of the installed devices, no more than
          fifty percent (50%) will be key escrowed devices in the
          next ten years.

          The number of Title III wiretaps that take place in a
          given year is approximately 4,000 (the number of court
          ordered wiretaps is approximately 800 times an average
          of 5 physical taps per court order).  If my estimate of
          the number of key escrow phone devices is accurate and
          those estimates represent the population of phones that
          the law enforcement authorities expect to encounter
          when placing a wiretap, then we should see
          approximately 200 actual key escrowed phone taps in any
          given year or approximately 16 per month; 1 every 2
          days or so.  This is hardly enough to justify all the
          key escrow administrative expenses.

     Unfortunately, the estimates of five percent (5%) of the
     U.S. phones having and using key escrow devices is not
     likely to be representative of the population of phones that
     law enforcement authorities will encounter.  Business
     executives will use key escrow phones, but those that do not
     want their calls monitored by anyone will choose devices
     that are not subject to key escrow.  So even the optimistic
     numbers cited above are probably overly optimistic.  One
     cannot avoid commenting that it appears the key escrow
     agents will no doubt make the Maytag repair man look like a
     beehive of activity.

     I recognize that there may be an EES II on the way that will
     extend key escrow to computer communications and perhaps
     increase the activity of the key escrow agents.  On the
     other hand, presumably any Title III wiretaps of computer
     communications are already included in the estimated 4,000
     wiretaps per year, so perhaps not.

     And for this, how much will it cost to operate the key
     escrow process?  Does anyone know?

I offer the above admittedly superficial analysis in the hope
that the Administration will be forth coming with better
documented estimates to justify why it is so intent on proceeding
so quickly down the key escrow path.  I fear that the proposed
EES is just a symptom of a process that seems out of control.

One can only hope that the President's Interagency review of
cryptography, that is expected to reach its conclusions soon,
will recognize that there really is no need to proceed at such
great speed and that the Administration and the public will be
much better served by using a somewhat accelerated FIPS process,
that makes use of public technical input, in establishing the
U.S. public telephone security policy for the next twenty or
thirty years.

Slow down and look at the alternatives!  We cannot afford not to!

                                        Sincerely,

                                        Stephen T. Walker

cc:  John Podesta