Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Weird SSH attack last night and this morning (still ongoing)

From: "Erin Carroll" <amoeba () amoebazone com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 10:53:35 -0700

Gary,

I am seeing the exact same traffic pattern & attempts as of ~10:20pm PST:
Single attempts to remote root ssh from disparate IP's with few (if any)
repeated source location. So now we have a sample size of 2 :)

When I saw this hitting my servers last night I thought it an odd attack
pattern but surmised it was either a targeted slow attack with spoofed IP's
or a "slow roll" botnet using throttled connects to try flying under the
radar for alerting. I was leaning toward the latter and even more so now
that I see my organization isn't the only one.

Just block root ssh and apply a source IP whitelist for valid non-root
allows if you require remote ssh for day to day. I consider it bad security
practice to allow remote root ssh anyway. People should use user accounts
and a sane sudoers config instead.

--
Erin Carroll
amoeba () amoebazone com