Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Weird SSH attack last night and this morning (still ongoing)

From: Gary Baribault <gary () baribault net>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 19:05:21 -0400

I doubt it, that's a man in the middle attack if I understood, this is a kind of distributed brute force and as I said in a more recent post, they are no longer only trying Root, but are using a list of alphabetic logins so it has evolved.

Gary B

Mick Pollard wrote:
 On Wed, 07 May 2008 08:27:15 -0400
 Gary Baribault <gary () baribault net> wrote:

> I don't know what is going on last night and this morning ... I have
> three Linux servers facing the Internet, two on cable modems and another
> on a static IP/commercial connection and this last one is a gateway to a
> Web/FTP/SMTP/Pop3/NTP Linux based system.
>

> Of the three machines, one of them only had about 10 attempts, but the
> other two had about 200 attempts .. all of them with only 1 try with the
> user Root ..
>
> Is any one else seing this? or am I being targeted? This is still going
> on now .. and it started arround 10:00 last night GMT+4
 These aren't related to the recent openssh advisory for debian based
 distros ? [USN-612-2] OpenSSH vulnerability
 A bot looking for debian based servers with weak ssh keys ?
 Just a thought.

 -
 Regards
 Mick Pollard ( lunix )