Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Weird SSH attack last night and this morning (still ongoing)

From: Gary Baribault <gary () baribault net>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 12:54:00 -0400

I'm hit all the time too, but it's usually scripted, and they'll try 6 - 8 logins before my DenyHosts script bans the IP address. In this case, there is only one login attempt, and it with root .. then that source IP doesn't try again .. it's as if someone just got some default password or maybe a blank one and has asked an entire botnet to try it once for all machines on the Internet .. it's weird!

Gary B

bigbadhoss () gmail com wrote:
These happen all the time on my servers, probably just background
noise, but it could be something else.