Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: DNS CACHE POISONING? - Our Portal is redirecting to our first competition

From: Gary Baribault <gary () baribault net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:15:27 -0500

Do they all have the same root password? I have heard that some people think it may be a root password compromise.

What else is there that is unique to this box?
I also heard that the exploit may be installed in some of the site code, the entry point is elsewhere, but once infected, it installs the exploit in source code for a site.

Gary B

Jeff Plewes wrote:
Update,

The problem box:
- centos 5 base, updated via yum from default repository.
- httpd 2.2.3-11.el5_1.centos.3 (2.2.8 backport?)
- php 5.2.5 compiled from source
- courier-authlib 0.60.2 compiled from source
- courier-imap-4.3.0 compiled from source
- exim 4.69 compiled from source
- proftpd 1.3.1 compiled from source

I have no control panel of any sort installed.

The box was running RH9.. had the issue.. formatted and replaced with
fresh install of centos 5... copied over customer vhosts..

Gets hit again within days.

ports open = 20,21,22,25,80,110,143,443 + pasv port range for ftp

I have many other hosts in the datacenter with various configurations
but all would have had the same apache, php, ssh, ssl versions as this
box before at RH9. None of them have been hit.. none of them however,
contain exim, courier, or proftpd

Im starting to lean towards these packages as a possible entry-point
for the trojan?

And no its not ARP or DNS poisoning nor router or proxy problems.

-Jeff