Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: DNS CACHE POISONING? - Our Portal is redirecting to our first competition

From: "Jason Stelzer" <jason.stelzer () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:15:30 -0500

All bets are off because there is no way to conclusively prove that a
compromise stopped at a certain point. Best practice dictates that you
reimage the box[1]. The issue really is that nobody has complete
knowledge of everything. Any number of as yet unreported exploits
could have been used to elevate privileges for example. I'll go out on
a limb and claim that various blackhat communities know of exploits
that vendors and admins are as yet unaware of.

The only defense against that sort of thing is a reliable recovery
process. In my experience the cost of 'overreacting' to a compromise
is greatly offset by the risk posed by not fully eliminating the risk
of exposing sensitive internal processes/data.

I will grant you that each incident does present different degrees of
exposure/risk. However, if I were going to put my name beside the
solution, I would want to recommend the best course of action to
completely mitigate/eliminate risk. What is actually implemented may
differ, but at that point I would feel that my expected due diligence
had been met and that everyone understood what any remaining risks
were and found them acceptable.

[1]
http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/root_compromise.html