Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Possible Mail server compromise ?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:59:01 -0500

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:48:10 +0300, Eygene Ryabinkin said:
Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 07:46:35PM +0100, Faas M. Mathiasen wrote:
ClamAV ? Lowest detection rate in the industry,

Possibly...  Where is the statistics?

Let's inject a little bit of actual reality here, shall we?

When you look at the crap that *actually arrives*, the vast majority of it is
so old that almost *everything* should be catching it.  Our main mailscanner
hub statistics for last week:

Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 01:12:02 -0500

Weekly Virus Summary

 3581 Total Virus Detections

Breakdown by Virus Family:
    692 MYDOOM                 (19.32%)
    615 PUSHDO                 (17.17%)
    605 NETSKY                 (16.89%)
    302 MYTOB                  ( 8.43%)
    286 IFRAME                 ( 7.99%)
    149 VIRUT                  ( 4.16%)
    143 BUGBEAR                ( 3.99%)
    135                        ( 3.77%)
    123 NYXEM                  ( 3.43%)
    112 SALITY                 ( 3.13%)
     97 ZAFI                   ( 2.71%)
     77 BAGLE                  ( 2.15%)
     65 LOVGATE                ( 1.82%)
     42 DLOADR                 ( 1.17%)
     25 ENCPK                  (  0.7%)
     17 PUSHU                  ( 0.47%)
     15 DUMARU                 ( 0.42%)

There we go. The top 17 accounted for 3,500 out of 3,581 of the detects,
or 97.7% of them.  And before you ask, yes, I'm pretty sure there weren't any
floods of fail-to-detects caused by some new unknown in the last week, or it
would have been all over the various security lists.  OK, so maybe 2 dozen
or so missed detects got through.  However...

Once you get to 95% or 97% on the e-mail scanning, your user community is
much more in danger of getting nailed by something they got off a P2P net
or a drive-by fruiting from some website they visited.