Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Possible AIM Hack?

From: Jeff Bryner <jbryner1 () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:08:40 -0800 (PST)

If you're split tunneling, then yes there is a danger:
http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/2004fixipsectunnel.html

Jeff

--- ACMurray () cmp com wrote:

It's worth a try. I was following this thread with considerable
interest because
I couldn't log onto AIM either--until I tried when not running
through the
remote access VPN.  If I'm just connected to the Internet but not
connected to
headquarters via our VPN, AIM lets me log on just fine. If I log into
AIM and
then activate the VPN, the AIM connection continues without a
problem. However,
if I activate the VPN and then try to log into AIM, I get nothing.

Of course, this opens another question: is there a security risk in
connecting
to AIM first and then using the VPN?

Andrew Conry-Murray

             "Phillip R Cooper

             II"

             <pcooper@wareoneart
             h.com>                      <belka () att net>,

<incidents () securityfocus com>
             03/16/2006 11:38 AM
       cc

  Subject
                                         RE: Possible AIM Hack?

here's something that occurred to me-

are you by chance VPN'd into a common network during all these
attempts?
Perhaps there's been a block instituted on whatever port AIM
communicates
on, and you've not been informed for whatever reason.

I know this is VERY basic, and possibly will be thought to be my
attempt to
insult you. Not at all. With the alphabet soup after your name, it's
apparent you know much more than I. But I've a feeling this is going
to be
something incredibly simple that is being overlooked, as often
happens in
this industry. Hey, we've all been there- troubleshooting the network
and
finding out later after much agravation that we'd used the wrong
cable in
the first place. ;)