Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Possible AIM Hack?

From: belka () att net
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:20:08 +0000

As far as the AIM server being temporarily down, as of 0900 EST (GMT -5) 16 MAR 06, it is
still not possible (at least for me) to create a new AIM user account.  I would
encourage others to go to www.aim.com and attempt to create an AIM identity and
see if they get the same results.  I have tried creating a new account in at
least four different cities in the last week using different hardware, ISPs,
etc. -- all with no effect.  With every attempt I receive a pop up java script
window stating "The service you are attempting to use is temporarily
unavailable,error 20814"

This message has been returned since last week -- if the authentication server is 'casters
up", then the system admins at AIM are operating under a very, very, generous
Service Levels Agreement.  My experience is that if you are down a week, its
time to break out the disaster recovery plans.  In fairness, however, AIM is a
free service.  Free usually means you get what you pay for.  Right now I am
receiving from AOL exactly what I have been paying -- nothing.

But in seriousness, a lot of people depend on AIM for social and even business
interaction. It has, free or not, become a "critical application" to a lot of
people.  I made a couple of attempts to contact AOL about the problem, without
result.

In a larger context, if there is a problem at AOL with AIM, and it has been
hacked, and it has been down over a week -- what of the data and accounts of the
gazillions of users who are regulars on AIM?  Is that data safe?  Given the
recent stories about the spike in debit card fraud recently, and that spike has
been tenatively traced back to a possibility of a vendor that wat was hacked and lost
the data (stay tuned to this story as it develops), the circumstances that my
account "disappeared" and the fact that creating a new account is disabled is
troubling.

--
Rob Frazier, CISSP, ISSAP
www.xakephet.com

From: "Steven" <steven () lovebug org>
Well like I said it could be a number of things but if you cannot logon
anymore as I said then there's a good chance of a compromise.  The whole
part about not being able to logon anymore would indicate a persistent
problem that is permanent and not some problem signing on for a few minutes.
That would mean you couldn't logon right after getting kicked off, 10 mins
later, 6 hours later, 5 days later, etc.  Additionally, if some server that
gives a yea/nay is on a coffe + donut break -- what would that have to do
with kicking you offline after already being authenticated?

Let's see it's been at least a day.  Can you logon now?  If the answer is
yes.. chances are someone didn't steal your account.  If the answer is no --
I'll go with you're compromised or you forgot your password.  Anyway that's
just one possible reason which defintely occurs quite frequently to people
with desirable screen names or that have pissed off someone.

Steven