Security Incidents mailing list archives

New Phishing Technique?

From: Mace.Scott () tatravelcenters com
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:59:39 -0500

A couple of phishing emails got through our spamassasin/clamav filter here
at work, and through to my gmail account, damn near simultaneously.  Both
with very different text, and different urls.  Now clamav is generally
very capable of stopping phishing attacks, so I'm surprised these made it
through.  More interesting, is the fact one got through Gmail as well. And
it's very obvious a phish.  Here's the text of the email (I added 11111 to
the end of the url to guard against accidental clicking):
 Incidentally, Lotus Notes complains of an untrusted certificate when the
email is opened.

Dear Chase account holder,
We recently reviewed your account, and suspect that your Chase Internet
Banking account may have been accessed by an unauthorized third party.
Protecting the security of your account and of the Chase Bank network is
our primary concern. Therefore, as a preventative measure, we have
temporarily limited access to sensitive account features.
To restore your account access, please take the following steps to ensure
that your account has not been compromised:
1. Login to your Chase Internet Banking account. In case you are not
enrolled for Internet Banking, you will have to use your Social Security
Number as both your Personal ID and Password.
2. Review your recent account history for any unauthorized withdrawals or
deposits, and check your account profile to make sure not changes have
been made. If any unauthorized activity has taken place on your account,
www.chase.com/signon?SIGNON_XCP=1010
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your
assistance in helping us maintain the integrity of the entire Chase
system. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.
Sincerely,
The Chase Bank Team
Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be
answered. For assistance, log in to your Chase Bank account and choose the
"Help" link in the header of any page.
® 2006 JPMorgan Chase & Co.security manager. All rights reserved.
Becky Draftel

Scott Mace
Security Administrator
Travelcenters of America