Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Bogon IPs traffic only seen by netflow, confined within a VLANonly

From: "AJ Cochenour" <ajc () mytcpip net>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 06:00:43 -0700 (PDT)

Assuming CatOS on the C4506:

1. Issue the following to locate port if host may be directly connected:
     'sh cam dynamic | include <Questionable Source MAC --
FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF>'
2. If operating within distributedswitch network issue the following
(assuming Cisco/Foundry topology):
     'l2trace <Switch MAC -- FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF> <Questionable Source MAC
-- FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF>' to reveal L2 path to device(s) in question.

If using IOS on C4506 issue the following to locate port if host may ne
directly connected:
     'sh mac-address-table | include <Questionable Source MAC --
FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF>'

In the absence of recent CatOS/IOS firmware to support the commands
provided  TCL scripting would be a viable alernative.  Happy hunting

AJC
ajc () mytcpip net

Combining the below from Nicolai with setting up the port in promiscuous
mode and running a Network Sniffer tool would give you enough data to
track it down, I would think.
-
Jean-Raymond Xavier Pierre
Scientific Computing and Computing Services
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center