Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: vulnerability in glocation.cgi?

From: Christine Kronberg <Christine_Kronberg () genua de>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 10:56:47 +0200 (CEST)

  Hi,

  That thread dates back to January 2004, but I think I should
  finally deliver the rest of the story. Back in 2004 I reported
  some odd web accesses to one of my webserver seemingly to exploit
  a vulnerability in a script called "glocation". I had never
  heard of such a script, but the tried "ls -la" made me curious
  enough that I wrote a script giving some fake output on that
  command. Now that's what had happened:

  - After an hour "someone" obviously noticed that the return
    code changed from 404 file not found to 200. After that other
    commands were tested but no longer from a large variety of
    IP addresses but only two.
  - Next morning when I saw that, I added the tried commands to
    my script. The person came back trying more.
  - In the meanwhile the probing for glocation stopped and was
    replaced for script php.cgi, whereami.cgi and test.cgi. None
    of them ever existed on any of my servers.
    For what reason soever it seems to be necessary to get 404