Security Incidents mailing list archives

Chinese HTTP ACKs

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 10:08:20 -0800

  I'm seeing a handful of addresses in the 61.143.210.0/23 space
periodically send 2-3 ACKs from port 80 to semi-random addresses
within our Class B space.  The TCP checksum on these packets is
incorrect.
  Note that these are ACK and not SYN-ACK, although no such session
appears to be underway.  Between that and the checksum error, I
believe that these are NOT responses to spoofed SYNs, but are
something else crafted on the Chinese hosts themselves.

  I describes the destination as "semi-random" in that the examples
I've captured have been directed at in-use addresses within thinly-
used portions of our address space.  A less random target selection
would be expected to be hitting our main server ranges; a more random
selection would be expected to hit some unused addresses.  So I
*suspect* that some kind of discovery process may have been used.

  (In at least one case, the target lies within a sub-block that is
is not supposed to exchange TCP packets with the Internet.  Unfortunately,
it's relying on a Cisco ACL "established" line for this, and of course
these naked ACKs sail right on past....
  Again, a reason to believe that these ACKs are not part of some
legitimate session already in progress.)

  Anybody else seeing similar?

David Gillett