Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: SSH probe attack afoot?

From: Barrie Dempster <barrie () reboot-robot net>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 20:28:21 +0000

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 18:25 +0000, Joe Egloff wrote:

Matter of fact I did, but the amount of hosts is increasing. I'm currently assuming, that there some sort race going
on. Seems like one or more groups trying to "expand" their bot nets.

Why bot nets? Well, on most of the systems I checked I found that the IRC ports are open or on other ports some IRC
alike service is running.

bots as part of botnets don't generally setup IRC servers on their
hosts. They instead connect to an existing IRC server and join a meeting
point channel to be controlled, with single commands. Slightly hard to
control them if they all live on separate servers and you have to
connect to each individually.
--
With Regards..
Barrie Dempster (zeedo) - Fortiter et Strenue

blog: http://zeedo.blogspot.com
site: http://www.bsrf.org.uk

[ gpg --recv-keys --keyserver www.keyserver.net 0x96025FD0 ]