Security Incidents mailing list archives

wmon16.exe

From: "Jason High" <strongcypher () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 09:02:50 -0400

I believe that I have a HUGE problem, and I can't find anything anywhere. Here are our symptoms:

- C:\winnt\system32\wmon16.exe appeared and began running (no idea what it is or does) - hosts file was altered to redirect antivirus sites to 127.0.0.1 (similar to Trojan.QHOST but nothing else matches
- disables antivirus
- creates lots of connections to network computers using microsoft-ds and netbios ports

I am completely lost. No removal tools have worked, no A/V is picking it up. I've got about four hosts with these symptoms (so far) and I'm just unplugging network cables at this point. Anyone with any pointers?

Jason E. High,RHCT,GSEC,MCP
http://www.alwaysright.org

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar – get it now! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/