Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: wmon16.exe

From: "lsi" <stuart () cyberdelix net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 08:26:34 +0100

Hey, I saw this too

HOSTS file had a bunch of AV sites pointing to 127.0.0.1

The name of my mystery file was WINDRV32.EXE  I think - 3k

Once I got the AV working and updated, it detected GAObot and Sasser
on the machine - the HOSTS file itself then caused an alert from
Norton - not sure whether it called it GAOBot or Sasser.

The machine was infected with AVSERVE.EXE *and* AVSERVE2.EXE - both
were running full tilt when I arrived.

The machine was on a broadband connection and had no firewall
enabled.  So I concluded it was a 'spyware hotel' ... and attacked it
in Safe Mode with System Restore turned off.  At this point I wasn't
too methodical and trashed anything that looked out of the ordinary.
I also run Ad-Aware and had that trash it some more. Then I rebooted,
updated AV and had it scan the whole system, find Sasser and GAObot
on the system, and trash them.

Norton did NOT alert on the 3k WINDRV32.EXE file, though.  I
concluded it was a dropper of some description.  I wanted to keep it,
but - well actually I have seen a bunch of weird EXEs "in my time",
and one more is not such a big deal.

Note: you sound like you're depending on an AV tool.  Just look at
the process list manually.  Have a known-clean machine next to you so
you can compare the process lists if you need to.  Then you can see
the malware right there.  Kill the process.  Remove the startup
registry key.  AV tool not necessary.

Stu