Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: New piece of spyware?

From: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 14:08:52 -0700 (PDT)

CC,

I'm not clear on why you think this is spyware.  You
say that you "noticed on my mIRC IRC client that
something is pasting out ads to the current window".
If these ads are appearing in your mIRC window,
wouldn't you then figure that it's a function of mIRC?
 Other chat clients (AIM, Yahoo!, etc.) have similar
functionality.

Given what you've stated, this doesn't sound like
spyware at all.

--- caldcv () students fccj org wrote:

Hi,

 I have a Windows Server 2003 machine. Lately, I
noticed on my mIRC IRC client that something is
pasting out ads to the current window.

[14:40] <nickname> New threat exploits flaw in
Internet Explorer -

http://www.addict3d.org/index.php?page=viewarticle&type=news&ID=2039
, please support them by clicking the GOOGLE AD
inside the articles on the right.

[09:46] <nickname> Sasser worm author needs money -

http://addict3d.org/index.php?page=viewarticle&type=news&ID=2035
, also please support us by clicking the AD inside
the article on the right.

[09:55] <nickname> 'Doom' creator Id - soon to start
on new game -

http://addict3d.org/index.php?page=viewarticle&type=news&ID=2030
, also please support us by clicking the AD inside
the article on the right.

[14:49] <nickname> please support
http://www.addict3d.org (A computer security
website) by clicking a google AD, INSIDE the
articles on the right. Thanks alot. :]

This last ad was the first one I've seen. I've ran
SpyBot S&D and Ad-aware with no results. I've search
Google for addict3d with no results either.

Thanks,

CC.