Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Simple Windows incident response methodology

From: "sunzi" <sunzi () mod-x com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 08:59:00 -0400

All,

I had previously released a very simple batch script for a security group
using the most common analysis tools used by the community. It's a very
simple script that simply runs a series of commands and dumps them to text
files for someone else to analyze. It was written with non-techies in mind,
so they can simply turn a floppy full of info into there support people for
analysis.

Since then the group/website has changed many times, so I am reposting the
tool here: http://jjhicks.com/. There is a link right on the main page.

There are changes to be made, but it hasn't been my priority for a long
time, so before someone says they'd like to pump the info to a
netcat/forensic server, it's in the ToDo list :)

Also, the tools take a great deal of space on the floppy, so this setup is
probably best for desktops scenarios, not servers. For use on a server, I'd
suggest burning to CD leaving an entire floppy for log files.

The beauty of using a solution like this before serious forensics is that
you get to see what was actually happening on the system before you tell the
client to pull their network cable/turn the box off.

As always, comments and suggestions for mods/improvements are welcome.

cheers,
sunzi