Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: [ok] Simple Windows incident response methodology

From: "Lachniet, Mark" <mlachniet () sequoianet com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:24:24 -0400

1)  I'd also like to hear from people who have more extensive experience
with NT rootkits - will the methodology I gave find most of them?  What
are exceptions?   What tools *should* be used in that instance?

2)  I'd also like to hear from people on expanding out the "analysis"
phase - for example, comparing results from fport to netstat, how do you
examine listdll output and know if there are kernel hooks that shouldn't
be there, etc.  I know how to do it informally but haven't written it
down.

3)  Maybe we need to set up a list of URLs so people can download this
list of steps, as well as the tools.  It would save a lot of scouring.
That way when so-and-so says "help me help me" we say "download this
junk and post the results"

Thanks,

Mark Lachniet