Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Anyone else seeing SSH scans?

From: "Ian Hayes" <Ian.Hayes () dpsi-inc com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:00:26 -0500

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Andrew Kopp ( Tor ZEW ) [mailto:andrew.kopp () kuehne-nagel com]
        Sent: Wed 7/28/2004 7:33 AM
        To: Matthew Dharm; incidents () securityfocus com
        Subject: RE: Anyone else seeing SSH scans?

        >I have seen an significant increase of scans on our ssh ports...

        >But none of them seem to be related to any on this list. The attacker is
        >trying different accounts such as root or admin. They seem to try two
        >passwords with the admin account and three passwords with the root account.
        >If they are unable to obtain access they move on to the next host. It seems
        >to be scripted as each host has the same log except for the timestamp.)

        Just got my cable modem activated yesterday. Looks like I joined in just in time:

        messages:Jul 28 05:59:32 sixshooter sshd[7339]: Failed password for illegal user test from 220.68.91.206 port
48987 ssh2
        messages:Jul 28 05:59:34 sixshooter sshd[7341]: Failed password for illegal user guest from 220.68.91.206 port
49009 ssh2

        From the timestamp, I guess it's just someone playing around with a script. Looks like he's scanning a bunch of
hosts at once if his system is opening up source ports sequentially.

        Actually, I'm offended. They didn't even try root.