Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Anyone else seeing SSH scans?

From: "R Michael Williams" <RMichael.Williams () ardenthealth com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:41:01 -0500

Unless there's an exploit/rootkit that installs/uses a preconfigured SSH
daemon of some sort.  It's not uncommon to see probes for already
exploited machines.

It also might not be uncommon for companies that used to allow telnet on
their perimeter before, to now allow SSH since it's "secure."  We know
use of SSH is _part_ of a secure remote solution, but not the whole
solution.  Others may not realize that yet.

Just the vague ramblings of a dangerous mind....

R. Michael Williams, CISSP, GCIH
Senior Security Architect
Ardent Health Services
Nashville, TN