Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Anyone else seeing SSH scans?

From: Hossein Rafighi <Hossein.Rafighi () triumf ca>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:11:52 -0700

This latest scan has nothing to do with badly configured sshd! They are looking for nix boxes with username: guest, test and user, with passwords set to be the same as the username if any? Once they're in then they install rootkits and IRCs. In one case they had installed irc.so from:
sirzion.illusivecreations.com hosted by irc.hertza.ro in Romania

We are in the process of investigating this more!

Stay tuned.
Hossein

sk () onlaw at wrote:

Hi!

I've also encountered these scans twice a day from different IPs.
Remarkable is that these scans alle originate from different Asian
countries (mostly.jp && .kr).

Is this something new, or just people looking for badly configured
machines?

I can't think of an sshd configured that badly, but who knows...

Stefan