Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Novarg - Stopping .Zip Files

From: "Ivan Coric" <ivan.coric () workcoverqld com au>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:43:38 +1000

Tom,
Far enough, but IMHO I would run my own email GW.

Anyway, check out Symantic and Toplayer products, they might do what your looking for.
http://www.toplayer.com
http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.com/content/productlink.cfm

Cheers
Ivan

Ivan Coric, CISSP
IT Technical Security Officer
Information Technology
WorkCover Queensland
Ph: (07) 30066414 Fax: (07) 30066424
Email: ivan.coric () workcoverqld com au

"Tom Milliner" <tom.milliner () verizon net> 01/29/04 02:14pm >>>
We don't have an email gateway.  With only 30 employees,  it seemed to
make sense to have our ISP provide POP3 email service.  The ISP provides
spam and virus filtering.  For example,  if the ISP provides the service for
$60 a month (possibly bundled with web hosting and/or a T1 connection),
the cost is $720 a year with little admin time involved.  That compares
favorably to the cost of hardware/software and administering an email server.

We are looking at IDS/IPS solutions anyway, and I am hoping there are
possibilities which could be affordable and easily administered (we already
run Windows 2003 in a single active directory domain with SQL and IIS;
there are four single person remote offices, and a PC classroom with 21
PC's).  I would like an IDS/IPS solution which can be either remotely
managed/updated or easily administered by me...for instance,  the Microsoft
solution, ISA Server,  can do a lot,  but I would need more time than I have
available right now to master its possibilities.

Sentinel and Netscreen are the two IDS/IPS solutions which I know about
now.  I don't know if they could have been set to drop POP3 .zip file
attachments for the 24 hours between the beginning of MyDoom and
McAfee's virus updates.

Tom Milliner, CPA, MCSE, CNE
2404 Summer Place Dr.
Irving, TX  75062