Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Releasing patches is bad for security

From: "james" <jamesh () cybermesa com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:58:25 -0700

Further, we cannot blame software vendors for releasing buggy code when we
accept the known 'features' and pay for it.

I disagree. Monopoly status means the playing field is not level.
The usual PC user still mostly has no choice of OS for OEM
systems. You cannot blame the user for choosing a buggy OS
when OEM's do not make other OS available.

Do remember it is well documented the strong arm tactics MS uses the make OEM's
only load MS OS.