Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Releasing patches is bad for security

From: "Clint Bodungen" <clint () secureconsulting com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:47:28 -0600

Chris Brenton wrote Thursday, February 26, 2004 12:31 PM:

This is just such a hoot I had to share:

The story quotes David Aucsmith, who is in charge of technology at
Microsoft's security business and technology unit as stating:

"We have never had vulnerabilities exploited before the patch was
known,"

The story then goes on to talk about how vulnerabilities are always
reverse engineered from patches. It really sounds to me like he's saying
that patches are *the* problem and if only Microsoft would stop
releasing patches, then all the security issues would just go away.

It seems the author just didn't express what he was trying to say very well.
I think what he was trying to say was disclosure of the patch / patch
details was the culprit... not the actual release of the patch.  But yes,
there is still some blatant ignorance in that article.