Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Releasing patches is bad for security

From: "ELLIS, STEVEN" <steven.ellis () cgi com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:24:19 -0500

James said

How about taking this back to where it all started ?

"Releasing buggy software is bad for security"

But it is good for profits, with the constant promise of everything will be
improved with a service pack or the next soon to be released version.

The best O/S that M$ ever released IMHO is still MS-Dos 5. I seem to recall
it had the longest and most in depth testing of any OS at the time. That
testing cost a lot of money and the ROI was not great. Oh for the days when
an O/S was an operating system and applications truly resided within another
layer.

Further, we cannot blame software vendors for releasing buggy code when we
accept the known 'features' and pay for it. Would you buy a car that only
had three wheels today, the fourth will be available in the near future and
a new engine upgrade is just around the corner for a small upgrade fee.

Steve