Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: IIS web server hacked..any tips?

From: "Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]" <sbradcpa () pacbell net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:17:08 -0800

These days I'm not sure IIS 6 is where I'd be looking ....but your logs will tell you that story... I'd start with a SQL server injection., but that's pure speculation. Get out the logs and read the tea leaves.

Asp.net has a needed vulnerability patch these days as well. Bottom line the rest are right... you can't trust that machine. Foresically examine it, figure out how they got in and flatten.

How hard and un-crackable were the passwords?

These days with a badly written application, you don't need vulnerabilities.

Susan

Jim Tuttle wrote:

I would portscan the host. Find unusual ports that are open. Try to connect.
If you get a banner for an FTP server, try to find the executable or service
and shut it down. If they got in via your FTP service, that's the first
place I would look. If they didn't, then Id start with IIS.

Make sure your fully patched, even the IE vulns need patching on a server.

You can use tools like TCPview and Fport to find out which exe is opening
what port.

That's a least a start,

Jim Tuttle