Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: IIS web server hacked..any tips?

From: "Adrian Marsden" <amarsden () jvsdet org>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 07:44:46 -0500

Might I also suggest that since, to date, you do not know the attack vector and may not know it in the future if you
are not sufficiently logging etc. that once the box is ready to come back up you turn on all logging to a remote and
secure machine and implement or update IDS. I might even go as far as suggesting that you place a packet dump,
(Ethereal), on a remote box to capture all traffic to and from the previously compromised machine.

If you dont't and you haven't ascertained and mitigated the attack vector you'll be back next week with the same
problem.....