Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: IIS web server hacked..any tips?

From: "Christopher Day" <cday () asgardgroup com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:03:52 -0500

Francesco,

There are many ways this server could have been comrpomised. You need to
provide significantly more information:

1. What ports on this server are exposed to the Internet? Are you sure
(i.e. check the firewall rules yourself or perform a port scan from the
outside)?
2. Have you retrieved the IIS logs? Can you post them or provide access
to them (sterilize your IP addresses, if you wish)?
3. What, if any, service packs and hot fixes have been applied?

Regards,

Chris