Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: New Trojan

From: John Ives <jives () socrates Berkeley EDU>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 19:27:42 -0700 (PDT)

As has already been mentioned the colon means that it was stored in an
Alternate Data Stream.  Since I don't have anything to add in that
respect, I will suggest a tool for getting to the ADS.  As a part of this
GCWN practical assignment, Ryan Means wrote a Windows Shell Extension for
finding, saving or deleting streams.  The tool (w/ source) can be found at
http://www.giac.org/practical/GCWN/Ryan_Means_GCWN.zip and the
accompanying paper, with a discussion of streams and the tool can be found
at http://www.giac.org/practical/GCWN/Ryan_Means_GCWN.pdf.  Ryan really
did a good job on the paper, and I've been using the tool for a few months
without problem.  In case you are wondering the tool is not a stand-alone
tool and must be installed on the system, but it still can be useful.

John