Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Weird Profile in Documents and Settings

From: Lucas Zaichkowsky <Lucas () dnsys com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 17:08:40 -0600

Possible file corruption or someone attempting to exploit an unpatched hole.

First, get properties on the C drive and do an error check.  Check in both
boxes and let it reboot to perform the scan.  You should be using NTFS for
the filesystem.  If not, I encourage you to convert unless you have a reason
for sticking with FAT.

Second, Go to windows update and make sure you have all the critical updates
installed.

Third, install hfnetchklt (shavlik.com) and run a scan on your computer,
suppressing notes and warnings.  Install any patches it complains about.
Make sure you redownload the patches since MS updates them on occasion.

-Lucas