Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Unusual volume: UDP:137 probes

From: Mark Forsyth <forsythm () optushome com au>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 10:55:51 +1000

On Tuesday, October 01, 2002 1:55 AM, Emeric Miszti [SMTP:emeric () uksecurityonline com] wrote:

[deletia]

Been seeing exactly the same spike with same patterns. Up from 40 odd scans on
28/9/2002 to 495 already today.

Up until 01-Oct 10:50 (Aust. EST) I've seen 349. The rate is increasing fairly quickly.

Incidents.org have picked this up at the Internet Storm Center

http://isc.incidents.org/port_details.html?port=137

No explanations or reasons been given by anyone yet.

There _may_ be an explanation here:-
https://grc.com/x/news.exe?cmd=article&group=grc.security&item=59379&utag=

I sure would like to stick a honeypot somewhere and see what happens.

Ooroo
Mark F...