Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Unusual volume: UDP:137 probes

From: "Scott, Michael R." <MICHAEL.R.SCOTT () saic com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 08:31:28 -0700

There _may_ be an explanation here:-
https://grc.com/x/news.exe?cmd=article&group=grc.security&item=59379&utag=

I found a copy of this scrsvr.exe on a Win95 machine connected to a cable
modem, and it was, as expected, blasting 137 probes to various /16 blocks it
appeared.  The thing that initially caught my attention about the file,
which was in c:\windows, was A) the filename didn't sound right for a
standard windows screensaver related file, and B) the timestamp came up
blank in windows Explorer (I think that's the M time in Win95).  As of
yesterday afternoon NAV did not report any problems with the file.  I can
supply traces or the binary if interested.

Mike