Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: nouser - rootkit ?

From: Bill_Royds () pch gc ca
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 12:10:02 -0500

From monitoring router logs, I have found that sometimes a machine is
rooted more than once.
The first kiddie roots the machine, installs a rootkit, but doesn't fix
the vulnerability.
A subsequent cracker roots it again, installing a different rootkit.
It is not a feint, just the fact the rooting a box doesn't necessarily fix
the vulnerability.
Oh yes, it was an IRIX box rooted with telnet vulnerability.

Bill Royds
Acting System Administrator,
Canadian Heritage Information Network
(819) 994-1200 X 239