Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: nouser - rootkit ?

From: Konrad Rieck <kr () roqe org>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 23:59:59 +0100

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 05:57:38PM +0000, Eric Brandwine wrote:
Either it's a red herring, and the real root kit is much better
hidden, or it'll be almost trivial to clean up.  But you've no way of
knowing.  I'd rebuild the box from scratch, if it were mine.

I am just curious about the "red herring"-part of the story and the
term "real rootkit"...

I wonder if there are really attackers out there installing bogus-rootkits
in order to protect the real ones. Has anybody on this list detected such
kind of "feints"?

In my opinion this behaviour is very unlikely, but I am willing to learn.

Regards,
Konrad

--
Konrad Rieck <kr () roqe org> -------------- http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/~rieck