Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Bind 9.2.X exploit???

From: Patrick Andry <pandry () wolverinefreight ca>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 07:11:00 -0400

Probably an exploit based on this:
(from http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind-security.html )

Name: "libbind buffer overflow"
Versions affected: All versions of the stub resolver library from BIND 4 prior to 4.9.9.
All versions of the stub resolver library from BIND 8 prior to 8.2.6.
The stub resolver library from BIND version 8.3.0, 8.3.1, 8.3.2.
The BIND 8 compatibility stub resolver library (NOT the lwres library) from BIND versions 9.2.0, 9.2.1. (Disabled by default in BIND 9, enabled if you added --enable-libbind to the configure statement)
Severity:     SERIOUS
Exploitable:     Remotely
Type:     Potential for execution of arbitrary code via buffer overflow.

I don't think that you're seeing a 0-day exploit, but maybe someone at the ISC would want a copy of it to check it out.

ilker güvercin wrote:

I found a tool on my compramised machine called bind9 and the source code is still there. its made by team teso bind9 Exploit by by scut of teso [http://teso.scene.at/]...
Usage: ./bind remote_addr domainname target_id
Targets:
 0 - Linux RedHat 6.0 (9.2.x)
 1 - Linux RedHat 6.2 (9.2.x)
 2 - Linux RedHat 7.2 (9.2.x)
 3 - Linux Slackware 8.0 (9.2.x)
 4 - Linux Debian (all) (9.2.x)
 5 - FreeBSD 3.4 (8.2.x)
 6 - FreeBSD 3.5 (8.2.x)
 7 - FreeBSD 4.x (8.2.x)

 Example usage:
$ host -t ns domain.com
domain.com name server dns1.domain.com
$ ./bind9 dns1.domain.com domain.com 0
 [..expl output..]
I didnt test it; its workin or not.
Anybody have knowlegde about this.Sorry for my poor english:)
if anyone wanna test it I can send the source code.
holy () linuxmail org

For more information on this free incident handling, management and tracking system please see: http://aris.securityfocus.com