Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: ckcool?

From: Mike Shaw <mshaw () wwisp com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 16:51:47 -0600

What I've seen plenty of is extremely poor password policy. This is a general rule of all cable/dsl modems.

It's possible and highly likely that the password was:
a) blank
b) "password", "pass123", part of the mac address host name, etc.
c) shared on some other cracked system

The other thing is that most of the cable/dsl modems out there are very brute forcible via telnet and/or http using something like brutus (http://www.hoobie.net/brutus/).

It's possible that there is some sort of exploit against the box (snmp? Poor html interface security?), but many many cable/dsl modems out there are just poorly set up.

-Mike

While on the subject.