Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Who's liable? - fbi

From: Alvin Oga <alvin.sec () Mail Linux-Consulting com>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 15:59:52 -0700 (PDT)

hi ya

out here ( san jose area ) ... the agencies out here are
fairly lenient and good about investigating computer crimes...

they ( fbi )  get involved when "it" becomes a felony across
interstate lines or gov't property... ( think a felony is anything that
was $10,000 or more in damages ... forgot .. "a small amount"

think they did confiscate some smurf attacker's PCs..
( can't get confirmation etc...since it was under investigation at the time
- told um the sites that maintains potential smurf amplifiers sites etc

- took a month or so of "watching the smurfing going on" ....but dont
  think the smurf'ers been back since

have fun linuxing/securing..
alvin