Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Who's liable?

From: <hvdkooij () vanderkooij org>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 00:29:18 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 13 Oct 2001, Michael F. Bell wrote:

Lets change the victim from a Goverment agency to a private one.  Lets
say that EBAY got hacked and they launched the same sort of
investigation with the same findings..  What can be done from a legal
/financial standpoint if an attack is detected from your company network
and there is no proof on exactly who did it?  Can the victims take legal
action against you, or is there some sort of protocol from a legal
standpoint that hinders this?

We know (or should know) that IP addresses can and will be faked in case
of a real attempt and are not enough to

So once a trace is so clearly pointing to you they must have some hard
evidence from your uplink. At this point the evidence is allready there
and it would be a matter of sorting out the small number of employees.

The likelyhood someone is not having any telltale sing is quite remote. At
this point 1 cleaner disk then the other N ones would be enough lead to
turn on the thumbscrews on this person.

Anyone have trouble hiding his/hers IP number isn't more then a slight
inconvinience. (Untill proper handling of spoofed IP's is done more
seriously.)

All in all I fail to see why this would be a likely scenario. I can think
of some others and less friendly ones that are much more likely.

Hugo.

--
All email send to me is bound to the rules described on my homepage.
    hvdkooij () vanderkooij org         http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/