Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: How to cope with, uhm, "mentally challenged" abuse personnel?

From: Justin Shore <macdaddy () NEO PITTSTATE EDU>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 12:31:56 -0600

On 3/6/01 5:18 AM Ralf G. R. Bergs said...

On Sat, 3 Mar 2001 15:07:43 -0600, Blake Frantz wrote:

A UU.net *router* was
trying to communicate with one of our core routers via TCP on a wide range
of arbitraty ports.  When asked, UU.net responded with "The type of
internet traffic you describe appears to be of normal origin." and
referred me to RFC 792 (ICMP) - I almost fell off my chair.  None the

This is the same thing they *always* do to me, and most scans I need to
report
are RPC and FTP scans.

less, after we recieved their response the activity stopped.  Purhaps this
is the same in your case, a first level abuse manager sends out a generic
email to passify wouldbe admins and escalates the incident.  Just a
thought.

*Sometimes* the activity stopped, but I had some cases where the activity
went
on for days, so I had to black-hole that subnet. But that can't be an optimal
solution, don't you agree? I can't start to blackhole everyone, because
some day
I hamper my users in their work... :-(

I've had to report probes to UUnet before.  The best method I found was
to first send the standard email with all the neccessary info (logs,
description of the problem, etc...), wait 10 minutes, and then call them.
 I reference the email I sent and say that the problem is continuous and
ask for a resolution.  I usually have pretty good luck with that method.
Probes from UUnet are almost as common as spam from UUnet. :(

Justin

--
Justin Shore, ES                Pittsburg State University
Network & Systems Manager       Kelce 157Q

Warning:  This message has been quadruple Rot13'ed for your protection.