Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Traffic from microsoft.com ?

From: Peter Bates <Peter.Bates () lshtm ac uk>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 00:21:02 +0100

Hello all...

Well. If the IPs were from 207.46.x.x they were MSFT:

   Netname: MICROSOFT-GLOBAL-NET
   Netblock: 207.46.0.0 - 207.46.255.255

Indeed, I should have said that the IP addresses I did in fact
see were all in the 207.46.x.x range, although admittedly I hadn't
thought to try doing a reverse lookup or a whois search on them.

My guess is that someone set up a few hundred clients to connect to
MSFT-servers with a fake source-ip. So all the replies went to "random"
destintaions - and Peter Bates network just happened to be in the
attackers "source-range".

I think this does indeed sound highly probable... not very pleasing
news, necessarily, but I suppose more pleasant than knowing the
traffic was the result of a genuine DDoS emanating from my network!

Thanks...

Peter Bates, Systems Support Officer, Network Support Team.
London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.
Telephone:0207-927 2124 / Fax: 0207-436 5389 / Pager: 07625 255362

and tracking system please see:

http://aris.securityfocus.com