Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Why would someone DoS a free-lance writer?

From: Sara Brigid Gaffney <irishelf () bellsouth net>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 18:21:39 -0400

I discovered that somehow that day both my firewalls had somehow
become misconfigured - thus, no alert.   I have a ADSL not a dial up
so the IP does not change.  I've never used Gnutella.  I have all
file sharing unchecked and have rigorous and specific rules set on my
firewalls.  Can't help it - I was hacked once, big time.

Two things happened just before this:  I had dl free PGP.  Perhaps I
mis-configured it when installing and that affected the others?  I
deleted PGP for now and checked at www.grc.com and I was back to
complete stealth mode.

Someone (else) mentioned that packets are always being sent - to
indicate perhaps that I should have seen some activity on my packet
sniffer.  I use CommView and it does NOT show packet capture when I
am not actively using the internet, i.e., when I'm on the net but not
surfing, etc. CommView is quiet.

Oh yes, the other thing that happened directly before this.  I was
having a slightly heated conversation with someone who I doubt would
harm me ---- but is a bit mischievous & has hacking skill.  Probably
a coincidence.  Who knows?   I was just too curious not to seek some
answer here.  Thanks for the many replies.  I appreciate all the info
and will try to hone my TP/IP skills or lack thereof.