Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Traffic from microsoft.com ?

From: "Bjorn Djupvik" <bjorn.djupvik () globalone net>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 22:47:12 +0200

I can make any IP delegated to me resolve to whatever I want, including
microsoft.com. Its the way reverse dns works, so the guy scanning you
probably made the ip resolve to microsoft.com to try and spoof the scan. Try
resolving microsoft.com and see if it resolves back to the ip, if it doesnt
then its obviously a fake.

Regards,
Bjorn