Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Finding out who owns particular IP addresses

From: Crist Clark <crist.clark () GLOBALSTAR COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:16:17 -0800

"Smith, Lonnie" wrote:

Is anyone aware of an email with absolutely no header? I received a
email with an exe. attachment with no header at all. Wouldn't even
show me the mail exchangers it went thru?

Your mail server was probably the only MTA it went through. That is,
the sender connected directly to your mailserver. It is also possible
but less likely the last hop MTA filtered out all of the previous steps.
You should still have the record for the last host that connected to your
mail server.
--
Crist J. Clark                                Network Security Engineer
crist.clark () globalstar com                    Globalstar, L.P.