Security Incidents mailing list archives

CVX? Re: Scans of 21536

From: marc <marc () ZOUNDS NET>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 16:42:51 -0600

I'm not sure exactly what causes the corrupted packets, but I have seen them
as well, here in the US. My network logs show a client connecting to our web
site, sending a corrupt packet with the TCP header "missing", with "GET "
18245 > 21536. The next packet they send is a proper request "GET " directed
at tcp port 80 of our web server.
to be legitimate home-ISP users connecting to our web site(s). I have not
seen scans that follow these patterns.
I would guess that your theory that someone is scanning behind a device (or
with a device) that creates broken packets is correct. A simple scan for web

        I exchanged email with someone that claimed the problem had been
traced back to a Nortel CVX.  Can anyone confirm or deny this as an issue?

marc

servers with the occasional garbage packet thrown at you.

I do still wonder what is causing this, it could also be a Windows bug...
maybe a flaw in Windows Me ??