Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: FTP scans from wanadoo.fr

From: "Alexandre Pinto" <alexcp () ciphertech com br>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 16:36:43 -0200

the anonymous login password: frequently [A-Z]gpuser () home com
an attempt to cd to some directories: /ftproot, /wwwroot, /_vti_bin,
/_vti_cnf, /cgi-bin, amongst others: the pattern varies, but all requests
take place within a second, so it's definitely scripted. This is followed by
an attempt to create a number of directories with a name such as
011203022432p, where the first 6 digits are YYMMDD.

Anyone recognise the tool?

That must be Grim's Ping (http://grimsping.cjb.net/).
There was a discussion about attacks generated by this tool recently on other
SecurityFocus lists (not sure if it was Vuln-Dev or Pen-Test).

Cheers,
Alexcp

--
Alexandre Correia Pinto