Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Interesting reply

From: Rick Ballard <RB.MailLists () ns sympatico ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:59:35 -0300

On 16 Oct 2000, at 9:18, Keith Pachulski wrote:

I have to disagree with this "people scanning is from a compromised
system". In most cases it comes down to someone on their home account
(dialup, DSl, cable) doing the scanning from their home PC which has
not been compromised. Someone saying "my system has been compromised,
I was not doing the scanning " is an easy way out of an account
cancellation or legal ramifications which may follow from
scanning/hacking activities. Best way to do it is three strikes and
your out. If the same user account gets caught three times blackhole
the user account.

I would say that if it a scan comes from a dialup account it is
probably not compromised and is probably just a wannabe script
kiddie, but if the ip is not a dialup then the box is very likely to have
been compromised. I have seen many scans coming from what
appeared to be newly installed Red Hat Linux boxes, usually with
the default apache home page. It only takes a minute to install a
rootkit on a box once it has been found to be exploitable.
--
Rick Ballard                    Rick.Ballard () ns sympatico ca
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada    http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/Rick.Ballard