Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Yahoo mail

From: Sean Sosik-Hamor <ssh () SHN NU>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 14:35:29 -0500

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Darren Welch wrote:

Someone in our company received an email from a person at Yahoo
mail. I want to track the source of the email but am I correct that
the trace will only lead me to the smtp server at Yahoo. Is there a
way to find out the IP address of the person before it got to the
yahoo mail server without a subpeona? Thanks

If you look at the headers there should be an X-Originating-IP: line
telling you the IP address of the sender.  I know Hotmail does this,
which is why I stopped using them.  Yahoo probably does it as well to
curb Net abuse.

/Sean/