Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Yahoo mail

From: Matt Wronkowski <mattw () CSH RIT EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 14:41:21 -0500

Someone in our company received an email from a person at Yahoo mail.
I want to track the source of the email but am I correct that the
trace will only lead me to the smtp server at Yahoo. Is there a way to
find out the IP address of the person before it got to the yahoo mail
server without a subpeona? Thanks

Darren Welch

Actually, both Yahoo and Hotmail include the IP of the machine hosting the
web browser used to send the email.  This address can be viewed in the
standard email header.

--
Matthew Wronkowski                       CCNA certified
Computer Science House                   Network/Systems Administrator